Christmas Countdown Clock

Thursday 2 October 2008

Independence Day #2

Having the weekly round up really is helping me to focus on staying green & finding more ways to achieve that. It also helps me to have all my information in the one place ... so this blog really helps too!

1. Plant Something
: this week I have planted More mixed salad leaves, Basil & Parsley ... well Auryn did but I'm guessing that counts! LOL. Also we planted new fruit canes: Blueberry, Gooseberry, Redcurrant, Blackcurrant - 10 in total but I don't know that they will fruit next year?

2. Harvest Something:
1.5lb turnips - worth £3.84
Fresh herbs for cooking
Not sure it counts (but I don't see why not! LOL) we harvested foliage from a dead deciduous tree to use as a mulch around the blueberries. Sean has started to chop down the fir tree right at the end of our garden - the wood for a log pile (to encourage the friendly critters), foliage for mulching & the whole thing so that we can use the wasted space where nothing will grow.

3. Preserve something: Made chicken stock & froze 2 pints (go me!!!).

4. Prep Something: Donated a whole bunch of handbags & hats to a charity collection, recycled and stored a bunch of jars ready for preserving the glut of fruit I expect to have next year(!).
We also planned out the garden for fruit trees & ordered a whole bunch more veg seeds/fruit trees etc. Cleaned up & roughly crushed eggshells & have them stored to deal with next year's slugs!!
Have started collecting & cleaning beer bottles for Sean's (DS1) home brew - I was already using the labels in my craft projects but the bottles were going into the glass recycling - I'll save them in future.
Found warm, fluffy socks & gloves in the 99p store so bought a pair of each - sure, I could make something similar for the winter but I know I'll run out of time this year if I'm to make it all myself. I will prepare much earlier next year!

5. Cook Something: Tried roasting baby turnips whole 'twas a disaster as I cooked them too long & they were inedible! LOL. Maybe next time?
More stew ... we love a good stew! Also made chicken stock from scratch - not a big deal but something I never do!

6. Manage Reserves: I had some supermarket veg past their best ... popped them in a stew, so I guess that counts. We are getting much better at using leftovers for lunch! & then there was the chicken stock - I will totally use up any bones etc for stock in future ... if the boys are going to have meat, then I'm going to get every penny's worth out of it!!!

7. Work on local food systems: Looked into the possibility of taking on an allotment ... then I could keep a few chickens out back ... & maybe meet some new gardener friends! Have passed on some veg to a neighbour who is full of great advice even tho she no longer grows her veg (she has fruit trees still tho')

8. Reduce Waste: Cleaned up another bunch of plastic trays (from pre-packed meat) to use as seed trays. Re-used the compost from a spent grow bag (FIL bought) when planting the new fruit canes ... I guess there has to be some nutrition left in it - & the organic matter from the courgette plant's roots etc. that had previously been grown in it.
I guess the jars & bottles no longer going into the glass recycling fit in here too.

9. Learn a new skill:

No comments: