Christmas Countdown Clock

Tuesday 21 October 2008

Guess who has an allotment??

LOL! I guess that'll be me then! I know we already have all the space in the front garden ... & the space in the back garden that we are going to prepare for next year but we were already wondering how to fit in all the fruit trees, soft fruits & stuff that we have due to arrive anytime now ... along with all the veggies we want to grow next year! The allotment is a perfect solution.
It is just 5 minutes walk down the road & the guy that manages it has already offered to help with any advice we might need. The best bit? it's totally free - no rent!! I haven't actually measured it but it's at least the same width as one side of the front garden (which has produced everything we have harvested this year) & a tad longer I think. There is no running water on the site but 4 large water barrels for us to fill - a five gallon barrel taken down in the wheelbarrow each time we go (most days then) should fill them up over the winter!! Time to start begging extra veggie peelings from the neighbourhood - I guess we'll need waaaaaaay more compost!
It is totally overgrown right now - so we have a lot of work to do there. FIL has a petrol strimmer so DH will be strimming the plot on Saturday - We are visiting his folks for half term, so we won't get anything else done this week - but there will be a few days toward the end of next week to crack on with it.
There is also a fire bin & compost heap - well, not one that is underway - we need to empty the turf & soil out of it to start over! I did spy a few surviving strawberry plants & I'm told there might be some raspberry canes there too - we will have to remove the strawberries before strimming ... & have a good look to see what else might still be growing in there!
Exciting stuff!
Although we are a looooong way from having a smallholding, we kinda figure if we can't cope with this li'l extra space then we need a rethink! LOL. So it's all good practice & we are learning soooo much along the way!
I'll be back with updates as we have them ... & maybe some pics at the weekend!

1 comment:

Spot-On said...

yay you go guys! they don't do allotments here otherwise I'd have one! I got my beds in though and have been busy planting already. now the tough part - having patience while things grow!