Christmas Countdown Clock

Thursday 25 September 2008

Gone to Seed!

Not a great week for us! We have let things slide a bit & the upshot is that the Pak Choi went to seed. It hadn't grown particularly well so the stems are a bit spindly - but it is edible & still tasty. I guess there's a lot of stir fry on the menu then!
The blueberry bush that I thought was just dying off because autumn is approaching turns out to have a rose aphid disease thingy - so I have had to strip & destroy most of the leaves. It still has some healthy new growth, so I guess we'll see how it survives! Fortunately I have a knowledgeable neighbour who told me about it.
We have had some very unseasonal weather, which seems to be affecting the normal plant life cycles - & my neighbour tells me she has fry (tiny baby fish things) in her pond, which have no business being there until the spring.
I have also not been too good at organising my menus to take account of the veggies that are ready to eat ... so more work needed on that too!
The onions, Senshyu Semi-Globe, can only be planted in a two week window so we got those planted just in time. I use a lot of onions so we'll be adding some more varieties in the spring - these ones are early harvest for July.
The beetroot are growing slowly but should harvest as baby beet before the frosts with any luck - the carrots & spring onions are doing fine too. I've also planted some flowers (free seeds) on a shallow strip in the back garden next to the patio. The poppies will provide some edible seeds next year & hopefully the other (Love in a Mist) will attract some friendly bugs.
I'm going to be looking at some seeds for quick crops to try and extend this year's season ... & overwinter some for the spring. Next year I'll be able to harvest more seeds - so we won't look to buy so many!

1 comment:

Di Hickman said...

well as you know from my blog the weather here in the states has been crazy! 100 degrees in JUNE, and every gardener I know (online) has written of the weird weather and poor summer crops. Certainly a strange year for sure!
Right now we have cool evenings, yet by midday yesterday it was 95 degrees! No wonder the plants are confused!

I've saved tomato seeds this year from my very own homegrown tomatoes! Also don't forget to plant seeds from supermarket produce! They were my best tomato producers!!!