Christmas Countdown Clock

Wednesday 24 September 2008

Early September Summary

Ok - this should be a shorter post & bring us almost up to date. Early in september, we started to struggle (yup! already!!) with the million other things happening in our lives. The weather, typically British, was wetter & cooler than one would have hoped over the summer & nothing grew particularly well. Although wet, we had much more of the nasty grey drizzle than actual rain & I suspect we also under-watered.
Anyway, you live & learn (I guess I'll be saying that a lot! LOL) & we did harvest the first of the baby turnips earlier in the month, young enough that we could eat the purple skins too! The last of the courgettes also came out, just a couple & the last of the blueberries. I have been cooking from scratch a lot more ... even tho I'm still buying pretty much all our produce. We made a really tasty stew from the turnips & assorted other veg - even the boys were happy to eat it (skins 'n all!) Auryn made dumplings ... not particularly healthy but tasty all the same. We are finding that he is more open to trying new things now ... so as we have more home grown I expect his diet will change a lot.

I'll post again this week - just to cover the happenings in the last week or so & after that I don't know whether it will be a daily/weekly or what sort of blogging schedule - whenever I have something to say I guess!

2 comments:

Di Hickman said...

Yup I found the same thing Bev! I cook more from scratch since I started this whole green journey.And nothing beats a homegrown tomato!
Looking forward to some veggie recipes on here too! We need to swap veggie recipes!
Oh and have you noticed a decrease in your consumerism. We hardly buy anything anymore (aside from camcorder our first purchase in AGES). I could totally get back to basics, aside from internet and computers *wink*

Beverley Todd said...

yeah! totally agree - I don't spend so much now & the biggest challenge, as we were already fairly green, is to find ways of being 'greener'
The more green you are, the harder it becomes to make another step towards greendom (a word that I totally robbed from your blog! LOL)